Tuesday, October 7, 2014

TAKES ON COLORS



TAKES ON COLORS
(By my fave designers)
           
          Being asked, "Who are your fave designers?". I might say.... "Hmmmm... I think... I am being put on the spot!" Coz' It'll take a whole lot of thinking and sorting just to name five. (Like what I exactly experienced, doing this run-down). Reviewing designers from cultures to cultures, was kind of like mixing races through clothes. And why say so? Coz' my five fave designers come from five different countries around the world. So, without further ado, here are my five fave Fashion Designers, whom I draw inspirations from, together with their collections. 

           Look at how they used colors in coming up with these fresh ideas. :)


First, Japanese Fashion Designer, Yohji Yamamoto of Y3.

 

          Y3 has been known to cater for both men and women. And I love how Yohji Yamamoto (the designer) interprets Japanese Design into contemporary ideas. He must have really mastered giving twists to his own Culture and has used clothes as emblem of its continuous flourish.

            His philosophy of using art to make people happy translates to what he presents to the public (www.interviewmagazine.com, 2014) And his Fall-Winter 2014 Men's Collection is just absolutely tasteful. Drawing inspirations from superheroes, and creating an X-men type feel (through its colors most especially), is really exciting.

          USE OF COLORS: Yohji Yamamoto used a Square color scheme (collectively): primary colors, exactly, red, yellow and cobalt blue mixed with army green, to give a sporty vibe and added shades. (www.freshnessmag.com, 2014) For me, he successfully managed to mix bold colors with shades. And.. what can I say? Yohji Yamamoto's just my most fave :)


Chinese Fashion Designer, Yiqing Yin.

           Oh I love Yiqing Yin! Not only is she pretty, but her extravagant flair with clothes makes her exceptional beauty standout. I really love how her garments appear subtle despite the forms and shapes she try to create. (www.irenebrenation.typepad.com) Her collections truly bring out that class and sass among women.

         Yiqing Yin presented her Fall Couture Collection 2013 entitled "Ouvrir Venus" which got inspirations from extraterrestrial and other corporeal forms. I must say, the drapes are stellar! :)

            USE OF COLORS: Yiqing Yin used an analogous color scheme (collectively): romanticized the color blue and shades and tints of the violets. That’s why, it gives the ethereal and calm look despite the out-of-this-world silhouettes she created.



Lebanese Fashion Designer, Elie Saab


          The first time I heard of him was in 2011. And I had no idea who he is. But, having done researches about him back then, it made me give a huge respect for his exceptional feminist aesthetics. Since then, I eyed his collections.

  Any girl would want to have a piece from Elie's collections. He has made me admire him more because of this Spring 2014 RTW Collection of his, entitled "A Lace Garden" wherein, he designed sophisticated and youthful feminist clothes which resemble nature. 

              USE OF COLORS: Elie Saab obviously used colors resembling Nature. The leaves and the flowers. He made use of Rectangle or Teradic Colors (collectively): He made use of the different saturations and values of the blue, green, red and orange. And again, impressive! 



Filipino Fashion Designer, Cheetah Rivera



                If there is one designer who let me figure out what style and aesthetics I prefer, it’s Cheetah Rivera. I thank him for inspiring me a lot. He finished second place on Project Runway Philippines Season 3, but he proved to aspiring designers like me, that there are no boundaries when it comes to designing. He is a maximalist like me. He pays attention to details, colors and textures. And so do I? 

              I really love his Finale collection entitled “The Chase”, inspired by his own struggles in pursuing his passion for Fashion. It was outrageously different despite its impractical use. It was breath-taking.

                USE OF COLORS: Cheetah Rivera used a Monochromatic Color Scheme (collectively): He glammed the color Yellow through tints and shades and added gloss through texture. It was a brave move indeed!


And last, Belarusian Fashion Designer, Dmitry Shokolov

  
           Dmitry Shokolov won Project Runway US Season 10 unanimously. He consistently delivered and created edgy garments which caught attention. He incorporated geometric patterns that were really stimulating and manage to design conversation pieces. Come Finale, He presented an edgy collection that presents an idea of a modern woman. And each piece were amazing! :)

            USE OF COLOR: Dmitry Shokolov used a Monochromatic Color Scheme in his Finale Collection: (Like Cheetah Rivera) He made use of the Color Yellow and shades and tints.
               For me, it was a hit because, the collection gives this sort of electrifying vibe of a modern woman.


              These Designers are huge icons for me. Things they have done, have really motivated me to push myself  to the limits and think out of the box. Now, have we learned things about colors?

Well...
               Colors play a huge role in Clothing Technology and Fashion Design, Colors elevate garments. And as designers, we have to be mindful of the proper use and techniques of mixing and matching colors.

So, don't be afraid to use colors. Go ahead and try them! Be creative :)

*J.A.*




No comments:

Post a Comment